Parish and School History
In 1959, under the leadership of Cardinal Ritter, land on Mueller Road in South St. Louis County was purchased. The land that once had been a tree nursery was to become the site of St. Simon the Apostle Parish and School.
During the summer of 1959, plans were underway for the opening of St. Simon the Apostle Catholic School. Father Dierker received a commitment from the Dominican Sisters of Sparkill, New York, to staff the school. When it opened its doors in September 1960, the school was already too small for the 518 registered students. In 1961, construction was in process for six additional classrooms.
The school enrollment fluctuated with the changing birthrate. In 1980 under leadership of Sister Anne Simms and Msgr. Woracek, St. Simon Parish entered into an agreement with Mary, Mother of the Church Parish to provide Catholic education for families who desired full-time Catholic education for their children. The relationship between the two parishes flourished and is still in effect today.
In 1984, as the parish celebrated its 25th anniversary, plans were developed to expand the physical plant by adding a gymnasium, kindergarten and library.
The Dominican Sisters played a vital role in the education of the students of St. Simon School until 1993.
As the new millennium approached, the need to expand facilities again became apparent. Fr. Ahrens broke ground for the new church in September 2000. The old church was renovated into a space for school needs. Offices were expanded and a health room, copy room and much needed storage area were established. The computer lab was expanded. A music room, faculty lounge, multipurpose room were constructed in this space as well. An area was also created to house the after-school latchkey program, run by Simon Says Early Childhood Center. The library was moved to the renovated church space so that a second Kindergarten room could be created.
The history of St. Simon the Apostle Parish and School has been one of zealous faith, loyal commitment and selfless generosity, much in keeping with the attributes of our patron saint that watches over and protects us.